The steps below seems like a lot but it’s really not. Most of the settings I explain are set as default by Gmail, so you only have to add your email address, username, and password.
So here are the POP settings to get your Mizzou email running through Gmail. Since I have gmail.com as a constantly open tab, I find sending and receiving university email through my Gmail much more convenient than using something clunky like Outlook or OS X’s Mail app.
- Navigate to Settings > Accounts and Import > Add a POP3 mail account you own in your Gmail account.
- Enter in your Mizzou email address @mail.missouri.edu. @mail.mizzou.edu will not work in the settings, but you will still get email if people send email to an @mail.mizzou.edu address. Note: If you have an email alias setup, like mine such as firstname.lastname@example.org, enter it in the email field here, but do not enter the alias in the username field.
- Enter your username as email@example.com, replacing ‘pawprint’ with your actual Pawprint, of course. Include the @mail.missouri.edu. Then, enter your password.
- The University of Missouri’s POP server is pod51000.outlook.com. Ensure the port number is 995 and check the secure connection (SSL) for added security. (I found our POP settings here.)
- If you want the emails you read in your Gmail account to be synced with your @mail.missouri.edu account (for example, if you viewed your email on Outlook, the message would be marked as read on Outlook if you read it on your Gmail account), keep this unchecked: Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server.
- Add account!
Gmail does this pretty easily for you after you add your Mizzou email to receive messages via Gmail.
- Check Yes, I want to be able to send mail as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Leave Treat as an alias checked.
- Check Send through Gmail (easier to set up).
- Send verification. Then, go to your @mail.missouri.edu account and click on the link that Google sends you to verify you own your Mizzou account.
Change your Mizzou email address
If you are wondering how I got email@example.com, I went to DoIT’s website here and clicked on Personalize Email Address. If you plan on doing this and also want to send and receive email through Gmail, you will have to enter in your personalized email address in the email field, as mentioned in the “Receive mail” steps. The good thing is that the 6 character email address and new personalized email address go hand-in-hand, so you won’t need to notify people of your new address. That would be horrific…
Here’s to those like me who just want the core details.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Username: email@example.com
- POP Server: pod51000.outlook.com
- Port: 995
- SSL: Yes
All done! Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions.